Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Power of Many

I'd reached a point in our diet/biomed journey, that I felt our daughter had finally come to eat certain foods on a regular basis, and that cooking them in bulk and freezing them could finally be a feasible option. Inspired by one of my forum member's rituals, I decided to extend an open invitation for a day-long GFCF Cook Fest.

It took a lot of e-mails to figure out the details, but the two other participants, Tori and Heather, each drove an hour, hauled raw ingredients, prepared foods and coolers to my house and thus we began our first endeavor. We got to sample Heather's hummus and watch her make meatballs, Tori graced us with lentil soup and a sumptuous Sunday Chicken dinner, and I made pumpkin protein cookies and quesadillas.

But it was more than just making and sharing food. Here, we were able to come together and talk about our children. Try new foods and bring new foods home. Show each other new tips and tricks and generally learn how to make life easier in the GFCF kitchen. I wish I had taken a picture of all the food we made, because I know I've left something out. The following day, since my kitchen was still a wreck and appliances still out, I was able to make additional foods and freeze them.

Though it's been hard to get everyone back together again, I have held another cook-fest, and in this one, there wasn't a lot of mass coooking done, but there was a lot of education for the new people.

The camaraderie during this mundane chore made it completely bearable...and I LOVE having a stocked freezer!

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a message!
Anna