Sunday, June 15, 2008

Our Meal Calendar

It’s time to work on the meal calendar again. This weekly/monthly calendar is a great concept except for when I go out to the store on Sunday, stock up on food, then don’t follow the calendar. That usually means I forget there’s meat in the drawer and it goes bad. I hate waste. Especially organic meat waste.

So, the calendar’s a great idea. It’s something I work towards, but, I’m also tired at the end of the day and making yet another meal is sometimes just not in my cards. Certainly for a working Mom, this calendar is ambitious. I print the week out and sometimes I follow the days, sometimes I jump around. Sometimes it's evident that all I really did was waste ink and paper.

And speaking of waste, here’s what else I’ve noticed: That often leftovers get stacked up at the end of the week. I’ve also noticed that I’m eating more seafood than I used to, but I’m also eating more meat.

So, here’s what I think:

  • Modify the meals on the list according to what’s happening that week.

  • Freeze the meat for the Thu-Sat meals. Make a note to pull them out on Wed.

  • Watch the quantities and adjust down if needed.

  • Freeze the leftovers.

  • Eat the leftovers for lunch.

  • Have a “Week in Review” meal. (This is what my ex-brother-in-law used to call my Mother’s leftover night! I think that’s very funny!)

  • Add more vegetarian meals.

Life is about balance. The meal calendar is great, but way too hard for me to follow religiously, though I have found it extremely helpful in figuring out my daughter’s meals.


Click here to see the calendar. (Click the back arrow at the top of the calendar page to get back to the blog.)

4 comments:

  1. TAG! You're it! I've tagged you to do a "meme." See the rules here:
    http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/tag-im-it-for-meme.html

    Tori
    http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that your daughter eats a variety of food, and maybe that is because she is slightly older than our autistic son. We cannot get him to eat any meat, nor peanut butter absolutely none. He spits it out. I tried PB yesterday and he spit it out again. My son won't eat anything but breads and cheeses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie's Girl:

    I can't tell you how many times, pre-diagnosis and pre-diet, I cried in frustration over our daughter's limited diet. It wasn't until I pulled her opiates, gluten and casein, that it started to open up. Later, based on testing, I pulled soy and eggs and it opened up even more.

    It's not uncommon for our children to experience an opiate effect from the gluten and casein proteins. Remove the drug, and not only does the brain clear, but the body finally has a chance to operate the way it was meant to. Often, the more self-limited the diet, (generally to gluten and casein), the greater the benefit derived from the GF/CF diet. Perhaps some of her choices now have to do with age, but a greater influence is keeping her diet opiate-free.

    Things are not not perfect here, but they are far better than they were.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna,
    I'm totally new to this, but I'm very interested. My son has SID and is allergic to peanuts. If I were to do a diet/food elimination test on him, do you have information on how to do it and for how long? Is there some kind of plan I can follow? I notice changes in him with/without soybeans and things like that, so there may be something here that can help his behavior.

    Thanks
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!
Anna