Friday, May 16, 2008

Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone and Moving On!

Imagine my surprise and delight when at our latest IEP meeting, we learned that our daughter had progressed to the point that she could leave the special ed school in our district and start attending her regular home school next year! Three years ago I couldn’t picture this. She was such a wreck in the Pre-3 classroom and such a handful in Pre-K that I wasn’t sure how she’d ever manage a ‘real’ school. Once we got over the shock, it didn’t take long to realize it was the right decision for her.

I think for many parents of children with special needs, it’s not only hard to let go it’s hard to know when to let go. We’ve fought for so long to get them what they need that when they finally get it and excel as a result, what then? For many of us, like it or not, our children’s needs have defined us and we are left with the big: “What now?” Most of us don’t experience “The Launch” until they’re 18, but, not for us. We get that gift at a much earlier age.

So…next month I’ll be pulling out my shovel, digging up my roots and transplanting myself. I’ll have plenty of time to get used to the idea, make a pest of myself at her new school and be ready to launch come the last Monday in August!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message!
Anna